If you are one of the millions of people suffering from gut inflammation, you know how debilitating it can be.
Not only is it painful and uncomfortable, but it can also lead to other health problems.
Luckily, there are supplements for gut inflammation that can help.
In this article, we will discuss the best supplements for gut inflammation and how they can help you get your life back!
If you want more helpful info on supplements – including risks and general FDA guidelines – please see our “Supplements and Vitamins – Ultimate Beginner’s Guide”.
How We Rank and Review – 8 Criteria
1 – Price: What’s the price of the supplement? What’s the cost per serving?
- At Eating Enlightenment we value quality over price. However, all else being equal, then price comes into consideration.
2 – Reviews: How many reviews for each product? What’s the average rating? How many third party reviews?
- We strongly believe in third party reviews. Many supplement companies list positive reviews on their website, but third party reviews include negative comments. We always go with third party reviews.
3 – Reputation: How reputable is the brand behind the supplement? How long has the brand been around? What’s their mission?
- We believe that a company’s intention is highly important and should be one of your top purchasing decision factors.
4 – Taste / Absorption = What’s the taste? How quickly does your body absorb the supplement? Do reviews mention any negative side effects like an upset stomach?
5 – Perceived Therapeutic Effect = What beneficial effects or feelings does this supplement promote?
6 – Food Allergens = Does the company provide allergen info?
7 – Science / Certifications: Does the company list transparent scientific studies on their website? Do third party certifications test the company’s supplement for quality control? How many certifications does the company have?
8 – Pros/Cons: What are the pros and cons of each supplement? How is the supplement unique? For what situations is this supplement best?
1 – Best Overall – MegaFood
- Price = $35.82
- # of Servings = 30
- Price per Serving = $1.19
- Product Reviews = 5/5 with 20 verified reviews
- Taste / Absorption = 2 capsules per serving with food and water
- Labeled Effect = promotes colon health, regularity & relief from gas & bloating
- Food Allergens = very allergy safe (numerous certifications)
- Pro’s = Contains 14 unique strains of probiotics with high potency of 50 CFU
- Con’s = No vitamins or minerals
About “MegaFlora Probiotic with Turmeric”:
MegaFood’s MegaFlora product combines 14 strains of prebiotic and probiotic bacteria for a total of 50 billion CFUs (colony forming units).
50 CFU is one of the highest potencies in a probiotic supplement that we’ve seen.
Plus, this formula contains prebiotic blends, which help support the probiotic bacteria. The mixture of both prebiotic and probiotic can help with digestive health, gut lining, and your overall immune system.
For these reasons MegaFlora is our best overall choice. However, the price per serving is on the higher end.
Made by “MegaFood”:
About MegaFood: MegaFood started in 1973 and is a verified B-Corporation, which means they meet higher standards for quality, transparency and sustainability. MegaFood provides tons of science, gives back to the community, and is transparent about their supply chain. According to MetaCritic, MegaFood has a 4.3/5 average rating based on 7,100 reviews.
- Start = 1973
- Revenue = $67 million
- Employees = 200
- Mission = working toward a world where everyone is truly nourished
- Third Party Certifications = B Certification, USDA Organic Certification, Non-GMO Project Verified, Vegan, Certified Kosher, 125+ Pesticide Free, Certified Gluten-Free
- Third Party Reviews = 4.3/5 with 7,100 reviews
2 – Best Price – Botanic Choice
- Price = $5.00
- # of Servings = 30
- Price per Serving = $0.16
- Product Reviews = 4.7/5 with 11 verified reviews
- Taste / Absorption = 1 gelatin capsule per serving, easy absorption
- Labeled Effect = relieves occasional stomach upset
- Food Allergens = gelatin
- Pro’s = high quality ginger supplement at low price
- Con’s = contains no probiotics, vitamins or minerals
About “Ginger Root”:
This traditional herb is a worldwide favorite for soothing occasional indigestion.
Many cultures around the world have used this herb for many years for gut health.
It acts directly in the stomach to neutralize certain acids and toxins.
At a great price, if you want to try something natural and time-tested, Botanic Choice’s Ginger Root Capsules is a great choice.
However with no other vitamins, minerals or probiotics in this product, you might not get the relief you’re looking for. Ginger is more a stomach soothing ingredient, rather than a solution to leaky gut syndrome or another larger problem.
Made by “Botanic Choice”:
About “Botanic Choice”: Botanic Choice started in 1910, over 100 years ago. The company is family owned and has millions of customers worldwide. They are one of the oldest supplement companies still around today. According to MetaCritic, Botanic Choice has a 3.8/5 rating with 1,496 reviews.
- Start = 112 years old, founded in 1910
- Revenue = $18 million
- Employees = 107
- Mission = dedicated to making effective natural health solutions available to all
- Third Party Certifications = GMP
- Third Party Reviews = 3.8/5 with 1,496 review
3 – Best Selling Prebiotic & Probiotic on Amazon – Zenwise
- Price = $17.97
- # of Servings = 60
- Price per Serving = $0.30
- Product Reviews = 4.4/5 with 44,857 ratings verified reviews
- Taste / Absorption = 1 capsule, non-gmo, per serving
- Labeled Effect = Digestion and bloating relief for women and men
- Food Allergens = Allergen free
- Pro’s = #1 in Multi-Enzyme Nutritional Supplements
- Con’s = no vitamins or minerals, less probiotic potency
About “Digestive Enzymes Probiotics and Prebiotics”:
Zenwise’s Digestive Enzymes product is a blend of probiotics, prebiotics and herbs. The diverse blend of different ingredients will help your gut health.
Overall, this is a highly popular supplement on Amazon with great reviews.
It has a great price and is an overall great product.
However, with only 1 billion CFUs, its probiotic potency is lower.
Made by “Zenwise”:
About Zenwise: Zenwise makes digestive enzymes, pre and probiotics, and botanical nutrients. According to ReviewMeta.com, Zenwise has a 4.3/5 average adjusted rating from 2,837 verified reviews.
- Start = 2014
- Revenue = less than $5 million
- Employees = 29
- Mission = provide customers with unparalleled dietary supplements that leverage the wisdom of nature
- Third Party Certifications = cGMP, AVA Certified Vegan and Vegetarian
- Third Party Reviews = 4.3/5 average adjusted rating from 2,837 verified reviews
4 – Best Scientific Research – Care/Of
- Price = $9
- # of Servings = 30
- Price per Serving = $0.33
- Product Reviews = N/A
- Taste / Absorption = 1 capsule per serving
- Labeled Effect = digestive and immune system health
- Food Allergens = Non-GMO, vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free
- Pro’s = Backed by good research
- Con’s = 8 billion CFU lower than other products on list
About “Probiotic Blend”:
Care/Of’s Probiotic Blend contains two different strains of probiotic bacteria.
Probiotics have yet to be studied extensively in clinical trials, however there still is a lot of evidence supporting their use for inflammatory bowel disease, leaky gut syndrome and intestinal lining.
These “good bacteria” have been researched most intensely for digestive and immune system health.
If you’re looking for a quality probiotic with transparent science and high quality guidelines, Care/Of is a good choice.
Made by “Care/Of”:
About Care/Of: Founded in 2016 in New York City, Care/Of personalizes vitamins and mineral supplementation with thorough, transparent science. According to Influenster.com, Care/Of is rated on average 4.5/5 with 240 reviews.
- Start = 2016
- Revenue = $19 million
- Employees = 100
- Mission = deliver it to you straight
- Third Party Certifications = GMP, NSF
- Third Party Reviews = 4.5/5 with 240 reviews
5 – Best for Constipation – PureFormulas
- Price = $18.99
- # of Servings = 50
- Price per Serving = $0.60
- Product Reviews = 4.9/5 with 113 verified reviews
- Taste / Absorption = two vegetarian capsules per serving
- Labeled Effect = help relieve occasional constipation
- Food Allergens = allergen safe
- Pro’s = natural laxative formula
- Con’s = For constipation, not for gut inflammation
About “Advanced Naturals ColonMax”:
Advanced Naturals ColonMax product is a laxative supplement made with herbs and magnesium hydroxide to assist with occasional constipation.
Please note: this supplement is for constipation, and not gut inflammation. Sometimes people mean constipation when they say gut inflammation, so that’s why we include this product here.
If you are constipated and looking for a natural laxative, this supplement can be good to try.
While laxatives can be beneficial, please know that excessive use of laxatives can cause deficiencies and is seen commonly in patients with eating disorders.
Inflammation is easily traced in your blood so getting a quick blood test to see if your blood is showing markers of inflammation can be a good idea.
Made And Distributed By “Advanced Naturals” – (Note: PureFormulas is parent company):
About PureFormulas: Founded in 2007 in Florida, Pure Formulas has over 600,000 active customers. Newsweek recently named Pure Formulas the “#1 Health E-Tailer” for 2022. According to Trustpilot, Pure Formulas has 65,276 verified reviews with an average rating of 4.6/5.
- Start = 2007
- Revenue = $36 million
- Employees = 99
- Mission = offer the best quality products to help people lead a pure, happy life
- Third Party Certifications = GMP
- Third Party Reviews = According to Trustpilot, Pure Formulas has 65,276 verified reviews with an average rating of 4.6/5
6 – Most Unique – Life Extension
- Price = $24.75
- # of Servings = 30
- Price per Serving = $0.83
- Product Reviews = 4.8/5 with 416 verified reviews
- Taste / Absorption = 1 liquid vegetarian capsule per serving
- Labeled Effect = target bad bacteria for digestive health support
- Food Allergens = allergen safe
- Pro’s = good amount of probiotics with proprietary blend to remove bad bacteria
- Con’s = less potency, limited science to back up claims of proprietary blend
About “FLORASSIST GI with Phage Technology”:
This Life Extension supplement offers a good amount of probiotics with 15 billion CFU and 7 strains.
Their proprietary TetraPhage blend is meant to target unwanted bad bacteria.
This is a very unique approach to gut inflammation and has high potential to be effective. Theoretically, removing bad bacteria can help with gut lining, digestive enzymes and overall gut health.
There is some limited science to support the active ingredients in their proprietary blend. However, it is premature to make definitive claims at this point.
Even so, if you’re looking for leaky gut supplements with innovative biotechnology to improve your digestive health, this is a good option to try.
Made by “Life Extension”:
About Life Extension: Life Extension began in 1980 and is still going 40 years later. In 2021 ConsumerLab.com voted Life Extension as #1 Rated Catalog/Internet Merchant. According to ReviewMeta.com, Life Extension’s average adjusted rating is 4.1/5 with 24,354 verified reviews.
- Start = 1980
- Revenue = $168 million
- Employees = 500
- Mission = Achieve your goals with the best nutritional products that science can offer
- Third Party Certifications = GMP, Non-GMO
- Third Party Reviews = average adjusted rating is 4.1/5 with 24,354 reviews
Best supplement for gut inflammation
MegaFoods offers the best supplement for gut inflammation, in our opinion.
Their supplement contains both prebiotic and probiotic bacteria, in the highest potencies, with the highest amount of different bacteria strains.
While their price per serving is a bit high, this is our top recommendation.
However, please keep in mind no single supplement can make up for a poor diet.
An inflamed gut is caused by many factors, so supplementation is just one piece of the puzzle.
What heals an inflamed gut?
Outside of using a pre-probiotic diet, increased consumption of healthy fat-soluble foods such as fig and nut oils can help prevent inflammation.
Also, include fresh vegetables and fruits like broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage, which are rich in antioxidants. They help stabilize free radicals that cause inflammation.
In addition to a healthy diet, supplementing with probiotics can also help restore the balance of gut bacteria. According to studies involving mice, probiotic supplements may have an anti-inflammatory effect.
If you are dealing with a different type of gut inflammation and not constipation, or even inflammation in general, getting a quick blood test to see if your blood is showing markers of inflammation can be a good idea.
No single supplement can completely heal an inflamed gut.
However, increasing your consumption of healthy fats, vegetables and fruits, as well as supplementing with probiotics may help to restore balance in the gut bacteria and reduce inflammation.
If you are struggling with gut inflammation, it is best to consult with a doctor to get a blood test done to see if you have any markers of inflammation.
Rarely but sometimes, poor gut health is due to Crohn’s disease.
A blood test can reveal if you have an inflammatory bowel disease or a leaky gut.
If you have nothing to show in your blood, this is also good news! Because then this may be a clear sign that you need to change your diet or lifestyle habits.
And if there are markers of inflammation present, different supplements can help heal these issues.
If you have any questions or concerns , please leave them in the comments below.
Affiliate Disclosure: Some of the links above are affiliate links, meaning that if you decide to purchase a product after clicking one, we may earn a commission. This commission comes at no additional cost to you.
Medical Disclaimer: This information should not be taken as medical advice. If you are suffering from gut inflammation, please consult your doctor before taking any supplements.