Do you know what vitamin K is? It is a fat soluble vitamin that is best known for its role in blood clotting.
However, it also plays an important role in bone health and has been shown to reduce the risk of cancer.
Foods that contain vitamin K include green leafy vegetables, meat and eggs. If you don’t eat many of these foods you may be deficient.
Deficiencies in various nutrients can contribute to out of control cravings for food, worse bone health and problems with blood clotting.
If you are looking for a good vitamin K supplement, then you have come to the right place!
In this blog post, we will discuss the best vitamin K supplements on the market and how they can benefit your health.
If you want more helpful info on supplements – including risks and general FDA guidelines – please see our “Supplements and Vitamins – Ultimate Beginner’s Guide”.
How We Rank and Review – 8 Criteria
1 – Price: What’s the price of the supplement? What’s the cost per serving?
- At Eating Enlightenment we value quality over price. However, all else being equal, then price comes into consideration.
2 – Reviews: How many reviews for each product? What’s the average rating? How many third party reviews?
- We strongly believe in third party reviews. Many supplement companies list positive reviews on their website, but third party reviews include negative comments. We always go with third party reviews.
3 – Reputation: How reputable is the brand behind the supplement? How long has the brand been around? What’s their mission?
- We believe that a company’s intention is highly important and should be one of your top purchasing decision factors.
4 – Taste / Absorption = What’s the taste? How quickly does your body absorb the supplement? Do reviews mention any negative side effects like an upset stomach?
5 – Perceived Therapeutic Effect = What beneficial effects or feelings does this supplement promote?
6 – Food Allergens = Does the company provide allergen info?
7 – Science / Certifications: Does the company list transparent scientific studies on their website? Do third party certifications test the company’s supplement for quality control? How many certifications does the company have?
8 – Pros/Cons: What are the pros and cons of each supplement? How is the supplement unique? For what situations is this supplement best?
1 – Best Overall – Now
- Price = $10.86
- # of Servings = 60
- Price per Serving = $0.18
- Product Reviews = 4.8/5 with 56 verified reviews
- Taste / Absorption = 1 vegetarian capsule per day with food
- Labeled Effect = cardio and bone health support
- Food Allergens = contains soy
- Pro’s = high quality form of Vitamin K
- Con’s = 83% of daily value
About “MK-7 Vitamin K-2”:
This supplement contains the daily amount of Vitamin K.
Vitamin K is fat soluble so it stays in your body for longer, meaning you don’t need high doses.
How much vitamin K do you need? Research says about 130 mg per day.
If you are getting at least some vitamin K from your diet, then a lower supplement dose is best in our opinion, and it’s why this supplement is our top spot.
Made by “Now Foods”:
About Now Foods: Family owned since 1968. One of the most popular supplement brands, with many more third party reviews. According to ReviewMeta.com, Now Foods has an average adjusted rating of 4.2/5 from 175,757 verified reviews.
- Start = 1968
- Revenue = $650 million
- Employees = 1600
- Mission = provide value in products and services that empower people to lead healthier lives
- Third Party Certifications = USDA Organic, Non-GMO Project Verified, Certified Gluten Free, GMP
- Third Party Reviews = 4.2/5 from 175,757 verified reviews
2 – Best Price – Vitacost
- Price = $9.99
- # of Servings = 90
- Price per Serving = $0.11
- Product Reviews = 4.8/5 with 125 verified reviews
- Taste / Absorption = 1 vegetable softgel per day with food
- Labeled Effect = helps maintain strong, healthy bones, promotes cardiovascular health by supporting healthy blood vessels
- Food Allergens = very safe
- Pro’s = two high quality forms of Vitamin K in high amounts
- Con’s = no other vitamins or minerals
About “Ultra Vitamin K includes Advanced K2 Complex”:
Contains both Vitamin K1 and K2 in high amounts. Total K1-K2 is 3800mg.
This is one of the highest potency vitamin K supplements.
Again, more vitamin K supplement does not equal better cardiovascular health, bone health, etc.
It’s really the Vitamin K deficiency which causes these problems. If you have adequate vitamin K then you don’t need to worry about high doses!
Made by “Vitacost”:
About Vitacost: Founded in 1994 in Florida, the company was bought by Kroger in 2014 for $280 million after being one of the US’s 500 fastest growing privately held businesses for five consecutive years. ResellerRatings.com compiles 97,435 reviews of Vitacost with average rating of 4.47/5.
- Start = 1994
- Revenue = $383 million
- Employees = 432
- Mission = dedicated to providing the highest quality health and wellness essentials at the best prices
- Third Party Certifications = cGMP
- Third Party Reviews = 4.47/5 average review score from 97,435 reviews
3 – Best Liquid Vitamin K Drops – Thorne
- Price = $71.00
- # of Servings = 80
- Price per Serving = $0.89
- Product Reviews = 4.5/5 with 33 verified reviews
- Taste / Absorption = 15 drops 3 times daily
- Labeled Effect = support bone‚ heart‚ and blood vessel health
- Food Allergens = safe
- Pro’s = very high quality dosage of Vitamin K
- Con’s = no other vitamins or minerals to support
About “Vitamin K2 Liquid – 1 fl. oz”:
This is a drop form of Vitamin K supplementation.
If you prefer drops instead of capsules this is a great option to try!
Made by “Thorne”:
About Thorne: Founded in 1984 and now located in New York. According to ReviewMeta.com, Thorne’s average adjusted rating is 4.3/5 from 10,933 verified reviews.
- Start = 1984
- Revenue = $138 million
- Employees = 440
- Mission = empower our customers to improve and extend their health span through testing, teaching, and transforming health, so they can prevent adverse chronic health conditions before they begin
- Third Party Certifications =
- Third Party Reviews = According to ReviewMeta.com, average adjusted rating is 4.⅗ from 10,933 verified reviews
4 – Runner-Up – Life Extension
- Price = $22.50
- # of Servings = 90
- Price per Serving = $0.25
- Product Reviews = 4.9/5 with 173 verified reviews
- Taste / Absorption = 1 softgel
- Labeled Effect = help support bone & heart health
- Food Allergens = safe
- Pro’s = two high quality forms of vitamin K in high amounts
- Con’s =
About “Super K”:
This supplement has both vitamin K1 and K2.
The total amount of both forms of vitamin K is 2600 mg per serving.
Now, despite our recommendation above for lower doses of vitamin K, we realize many people want to maximize their vitamin K supplement.
If you are looking for a higher dose of vitamin K, this is a good one to try.
Made by “Life Extension”:
About Life Extension: Life Extension began in 1980 and is still going 40 years later. In 2021 ConsumerLab.com voted Life Extension as #1 Rated Catalog/Internet Merchant. According to Trustpilot, Pure Formulas has 65,276 verified reviews with an average rating of 4.6/5.
- Start = 1980
- Revenue = $168 million
- Employees = 500
- Mission = Achieve your goals with the best nutritional products that science can offer
- Third Party Certifications = GMP, Non-GMO
- Third Party Reviews = According to Trustpilot, Pure Formulas has 65,276 verified reviews with an average rating of 4.6/5.
Are vitamin K1 and K2 the same?
Vitamin K are compounds. The most essential are vitamins K1 and K2.
- Vitamin K1 is a vegetable derived from leafy greens which are great sources of iron.
- Vitamin K2 is mainly produced from meat, cheese or eggs and can be synthesized through bacteria.
Vitamins K1 and K2 are similar because they are both essential for blood clotting.
However, they have different functions. Vitamin K1 is different than K2 because it is mainly used for clotting, while secondary K proteins are responsible for calcium metabolism.
If you have low calcium, please see our calcium supplements list.
If you are concerned about Vitamin K, you may want to determine via quick blood test if you are deficient in Vitamin K levels.
Thank you for reading our article on best vitamin K supplements.
Please remember vitamin K is great for many health concerns like excessive bleeding, bone mineral density, and heart health.
We hope that you have found it informative and helpful.
As always, we advise readers to consult with their doctor before starting any new supplement regimen.
Please feel free to leave a comment below if you have any questions or would like to share your own experience with vitamin K supplements.
Affiliate Disclosure: Some of the links above are affiliate links, meaning that if you decide to purchase a product after clicking one, we may earn a commission. This commission comes at no additional cost to you.
Medical Disclaimer: This information should not be taken as medical advice. Please consult your doctor before taking any supplements.