Crossfit is a very popular workout regimen that has taken the world by storm.
It combines elements of high-intensity interval training, weightlifting, and gymnastics to create a challenging and effective workout.
If you’re a Crossfit enthusiast, then you know that staying healthy and fit is of the utmost importance.
And if you’re like most Crossfitters, you’re always looking for ways to improve your performance, which means you need to have proper energy production and muscle recovery.
That’s why supplements are such an important part of any Crossfit routine.
In this blog post, we’ll discuss the best supplements for Crossfit and how they can help you achieve your fitness goals.
Please keep in mind supplements are lightly regulated by the FDA. Their stated claims have no guarantee. They aren’t cures or treatments for any diseases.
Food is your best source of nutrition, especially for Crossfit. Please check with your doctor before any supplement program.
Please note we include items that we trust will be useful to our visitors. If you click on one of the links on our site, we may get a commission.
f you want more helpful info on supplements – including risks and general FDA guidelines – please see our “Supplements and Vitamins – Ultimate Beginner’s Guide“.
Best Supplements for Crossfit Athletes
- Best Overall – Bulk Supplements
- Best for Price – Life Extension
- Best for Inflammation – Bioschwartz
- Best for Naturally Occurring – Superior Labs
1 – Best Overall – Bulk Supplements
- Price = $13.96
- # of Servings = 30
- Price per Serving = $0.46
- Product Reviews = 5/5 (2880 reviews)
- Serving Size = 30 grams (4 tbsp)
- Taste / Absorbability = Dissolves easily and almost no taste
- Labeled Effect = May support muscle growth when used in conjunction with exercise
- Food Allergens = Contains dairy
- Pros = Highly rated rich source of high quality protein
- Cons = contains no other vitamins, minerals or herbs
About “Whey Protein Isolate 90%”:
Whey protein isolate is a highly purified form of whey protein, containing a comprehensive amino acid profile.
This product is ideal for those looking to optimize their body composition and burn more body fat.
It has been filtered through a process called Cross-Flow Micro-Filtration, which separates the protein from any additional fat, carbohydrates, cholesterol, and lactose.
As a result, this protein powder product contains fewer calories, fat, carbohydrates, and sugar than regular whey protein.
Overall, whey protein isolate is a high-quality source of protein that can help you recover from strenuous exercise and support muscle protein synthesis.
This powder is standardized to 90% protein content making it a safe and healthy choice for those looking to increase their protein intake.
Made By “Bulk Supplements”:
Bulk Supplements started in 2011 and is based in Nevada. Its main manufacturing facility is FDA registered. According to ReviewMeta.com, average adjusted rating is 4.4/5 from 39,370 verified reviews.
- Start = 2011
- Revenue = $10 million
- Employees = 50
- Mission =
- Third Party Certifications = NSF, cGMP
- Third Party Reviews = 4.4/5 from 39,370 reviews
2 – Best for Price – Life Extension
- Price = $9.00
- # of Servings = 60
- Price per Serving = $0.15
- Product Reviews = 4.9/5 (37 reviews)
- Serving Size = 2 capsules
- Taste / Absorbability = Take with water, easy to absorb
- Labeled Effect = Encourage healthy muscle function and energy metabolism
- Food Allergens = No allergens but those with impaired kidney function should avoid creatine supplements
- Pros = High quality creatine product at very low cost per serving, capsules may be easier to take than powder
- Cons = No other vitamins, herbs or minerals
About “Creatine Capsules”:
Creatine Capsules are a supplement that promotes cellular energy and muscle health.
The capsules support overall exercise performance by encouraging healthy muscle function and energy metabolism.
Some people find capsules are quicker to take than mixing creatine powder into a liquid to drink.
Creatine is a well-researched and safe pre workout supplement. Benefits of taking creatine capsules include:
- supporting healthy muscle function
- promoting athletic performance
- encouraging healthy energy metabolism
- maintaining healthy cellular energy levels
- improve muscular endurance
- heart muscle function
Made By “Life Extension”:
Life Extension began in 1980 and is still going 40 years later. In 2021 ConsumerLab.com voted Life Extension as #1 Rated Catalog/Internet Merchant. According to ReviewMeta.com, Life Extension’s average adjusted rating of 4.1/5 from 24,224 verified reviews.
- Start = 1980
- Revenue = $168 million
- Employees = 500
- Mission = Achieve your goals with the best nutritional products that science can offer
- Third Party Certifications = GMP, Non-GMO
- Third Party Reviews = average adjusted rating of 4.1/5 from 24,224 reviews
3 – Best for Inflammation – Bioschwartz
- Price = $14.00
- # of Servings = 30
- Price per Serving = $0.46
- Product Reviews = 4.5/5 (75,252 reviews)
- Serving size = 3 veggie capsules
- Taste / Absorbability = 10mg of curcumin with black pepper aiding in enhanced absorption and bioavailability
- Labeled Effect = support healthy inflammatory response
- Food Allergens = safe
- Pros = top rated supplement for inflammation, uses high quality ingredients that have been used for centuries for inflammation
- Cons = no other vitamins, minerals or herbs
About “Turmeric Curcumin with BioPerine 1500mg”:
Turmeric Curcumin with BioPerine is a #1 Amazon best-seller in curcumin herbal supplements.
If you are struggling with inflammation from the intense Crossfit workouts, we suggest you give this product a try.
Turmeric Curcumin with BioPerine is an all-natural, non-GMO product that contains no fillers, binders, or preservatives.
This professional-grade turmeric powder has higher absorption compared to common turmeric teas, and the curcumin is also free of soy, gluten, milk, egg, wheat, GMOs, peanuts, sweeteners, shellfish and sugar.
Curcumin is most effectively absorbed by our system when it is combined with piperine, the key compound in black pepper.
Made By “Bioschwartz”:
Began in 2015, located in Florida. Emphasizes high quality, natural ingredients and rigorous quality testing processes. According to ReviewMeta.com, Bioschwartz gets a 4.4/5 average adjusted rating from 6,821 verified reviews.
- Start = 2015
- Revenue = Less than $5 million
- Employees = Less than 25
- Mission = Produce the highest quality nutritional supplements available
- Third Party Certifications = cGMP
- Third Party Reviews = 4.4/5 average adjusted rating from 6,821 verified reviews
4 – Best for Naturally Occurring – Superior Labs
- Price = $24.95
- # of Servings = 60
- Price per Serving = $0.41
- Product Reviews = 4.7/5 (828 reviews)
- Serving Size = 1 vegetarian capsule
- Taste / Absorbability = High absorbability
- Labeled Effect = Improve strength and muscle mass
- Food Allergens = No food allergens / Very safe
- Pros = highly rated all natural supplement with ingredients found naturally occurring in the body
- Cons = just DHEA, no other vitamins, minerals or herbs
Many Crossfitters are interested in all natural ways to stay young, increase their muscle mass and stay healthy.
Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) is a hormone your adrenal gland naturally makes. DHEA relates to both testosterone and estrogen.
DHEA has long been known as a key hormone for promoting healthy aging. As we age, our DHEA levels naturally decline, which can lead to a decrease in estrogen and testosterone production.
This can have negative effects on overall health and well-being. Supplementing with DHEA can help to support healthy aging by helping to maintain optimal hormone levels.
If you are looking for a natural way to support your libido, maintain muscle mass, and keep your skin looking young and healthy, we suggest you try DHEA.
DHEA is a naturally-occurring hormone that supports many different aspects of health, including hormone production, immune system function, and more.
Plus, DHEA has been shown to promote the growth of lean muscle mass and support healthy skin collagen production, helping to give a youthful appearance.
About “Superior Labs”:
Began in 2007, geared for athletes, and has FDA, GMP certification. Mission statement emphasizes purity, testing, and quality. According to ReviewMeta.com, Superior Labs has an average adjusted rating of 4.3/5 with 3902 verified reviews.
- Start = 2007
- Revenue = $6 million
- Employees = less than 25
- Mission = purity, testing, and quality
- Third Party Certifications = NSF, GMP
- Third Party Reviews = average adjusted rating of 4.3/5 with 3902 reviews
What factors do we use to rank supplements?
1 – Price: What’s the price of the supplement? What’s the cost per serving?
- At Eating Enlightenment we value quality over price. However, all else being equal, then price comes into consideration.
2 – Reviews: How many reviews for each product? What’s the average rating? How many third party reviews?
- We strongly believe in third party reviews. Many supplement companies list positive reviews on their website, but third party reviews include negative comments. We always go with third party reviews.
3 – Reputation: How reputable is the brand behind the supplement? How long has the brand been around? What’s their mission?
- We believe that a company’s intention is highly important and should be one of your top purchasing decision factors.
4 – Taste / Absorption = What’s the taste? How quickly does your body absorb the supplement? Do reviews mention any negative side effects like an upset stomach?
5 – Perceived Therapeutic Effect = What beneficial effects or feelings does this supplement promote?
6 – Food Allergens = Does the company provide allergen info?
7 – Science / Certifications: Does the company list transparent scientific studies on their website? Do third party certifications test the company’s supplement for quality control? How many certifications does the company have?
8 – Pros/Cons: What are the pros and cons of each supplement? How is the supplement unique? For what situations is this supplement best?
Who benefits most from supplements for Crossfit?
Supplements can be beneficial for people of all ages, genders, and levels of fitness.
However, they may be especially helpful for people who are new to Crossfit or who are struggling to meet their fitness goals.
In addition, supplements can help people recover from workouts more quickly and reduce the risk of injuries.
Finally, supplements can help people who are trying to lose weight by providing them with additional energy and preventing hunger cravings.
When should I take Crossfit supplements?
The best time to take Crossfit supplements is typically before or after a workout. However, it is important to read the label of each supplement to determine when it should be taken in relation to a workout.
Some supplements are “pre-workout supplements“, like creatine. These are designed to be taken before a workout in order to improve performance and reduce lactic acid buildup. Others are best taken after a workout in order to aid recovery.
Still other supplements can be taken at any time of day, such as those that support overall health or that are designed for weight loss.
No matter when you take them, it is important to drink plenty of water when taking Crossfit supplements. This will help your body absorb the nutrients more effectively and reduce the risk of side effects.
Who may not benefit from Crossfit supplements?
While Crossfit supplements can be beneficial for many people, they are not right for everyone.
People with certain medical conditions, such as kidney disease or diabetes, should speak to their doctor before taking any supplements.
In addition, women who are pregnant or breastfeeding should avoid taking most supplements for Crossfit.
Finally, people who are allergic to any of the ingredients in a supplement should not take that supplement.
Before taking any supplement, it is important to read the label carefully and consult with a healthcare provider if you have any questions. This is especially important if you have a chronic health condition or are taking any medications.
The biggest risk in Crossfit is physical injury.
Crossfit supplements are generally safe for healthy adults to take. However, like all medications and supplements, they can have side effects.
The most common side effects of Crossfit supplements include upset stomach, diarrhea, and headaches.
More serious side effects are rare but could include kidney damage, liver damage, and heart problems.
Finally please know eating disorders in athletes are possible and you should be on the lookout.
To reduce the risk of side effects, it is important to take Crossfit supplements as directed by the label or a healthcare provider.
How to take supplements for Crossfit?
Most Crossfit supplements are taken in pill or powder form.
Powders can be mixed with water or another beverage and drunk, while pills can be swallowed with water.
It is important to follow the directions on the label of each supplement, as some may need to be taken with food while others should be taken on an empty stomach.
In general, it is best to take Crossfit supplements with food in order to reduce the risk of side effects.
How soon after taking Crossfit supplements will my performance improve?
The answer to this question depends on the specific supplement you are taking. Some supplements work immediately, while others may take a few weeks to start working.
If you are taking a supplement for general health, Vitamin D or weight loss, you may not notice any immediate changes in your performance.
However, if you are taking a supplement to improve your Crossfit performance, you may see some results within a few days or weeks.
It is important to keep in mind that supplements can only do so much. They cannot replace a healthy diet and exercise routine.
If you are looking for other supplements to compliment your diet, generally speaking you can’t go wrong with Vitamin D and fish oil.
Overall, if you want to see the best results, be sure to eat a balanced diet and participate in regular Crossfit workouts.
Is creatine good for Crossfitters?
Creatine has several advantages for athletes who wish to gain more strength, enhance weight gain, and run faster.
It also helps with muscular cramps and core temperature cooling, which is particularly beneficial for cross-country runners.
What protein do CrossFit athletes use?
Whey protein supplements, according to conventional fitness recommendations, are supposed to improve absorption before exercise.
Whey has all of the essential amino acids that assist in the repair and regeneration of muscle tissue, as well as a plethora of advantages in intensive CrossFit workouts.
Do CrossFit athletes take BCAAs?
When performed for longer, the CrossFit regimen has been found to decrease muscle mass and burn fat and muscle.
When subjected to extreme resistance exercise over a long period of time, Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAA’s) are critical for rebuilding, recovering, and repairing muscular tissue.
Of course not every CrossFit athlete takes BCAA’s, but along with whey and creatine they are among the more popular supplements for CrossFitters.
CrossFit is a strenuous exercise regimen that can be very beneficial for your health.
In conclusion, the best supplements for Crossfit are those that improve performance, reduce injury risk, and help with recovery.
These include creatine, whey protein, and BCAA’s. Be sure to take them as directed in order to reduce the risk of side effects.